Design-Based Professional Learning with Galileo Educational Network
This partnership in learning impacts all learners from five-year-olds to superintendents and government ministries. The challenge for today’s educators is to create a culture of competence where all students and staff are engaged in learning and successful. The figure below demonstrates the phases of design-based professional learning with a central focus on optimum learning for all.
The Galileo Educational Network is a comprehensive and complex network. Six guiding principles guide how this network engages with partners: stewarding the intellect through inquiry-based learning, infusing digital technologies, providing high-quality assessment, honoring collaboration and teamwork, fostering scholarship of teaching, and providing practical thought-provoking professional learning for all. The Teaching Effectiveness Framework (Friesen, 2009) provides a theoretical lens for guiding the design and assessment of the design-based professional learning and design-based research partnerships. The long-term work in research-practice partnerships focused on professional learning and research situates this network as a unique and leading-edge example of an innovative organization informing educational theory and practice with a focus on student learning.
Professional learning implies an internal process in which individuals create professional knowledge through interaction with information in a way that challenges previous assumptions and creates new meanings.
Galileo collaborates with leaders in each school division to develop plans for the ways in which building the capacity of individuals enhances and extends system-wide school improvement implementation. Our focus is on assisting teachers and principals design and implement 21st century inquiry-based approaches to teaching and leadership. Improving competencies in 21st century pedagogies is a complex process that requires long-term commitment and support for meaningful school improvement.
Galileo has developed strategies and expertise for on-going, job-embedded professional learning for educators that is informed by, and informs, the most current research. Galileo has proven ability to:
- impact student learning through high quality mentoring relationships with teachers and instructional leaders
- turn professional learning into professional practice
- strengthen professional learning cultures within schools and across school divisions through professional learning opportunities and support for learning leaders and administrators
- support teachers to find and use quality resources in the classroom
- maximize the effectiveness of personalized, responsive onsite and online classroom-based mentorship
- demonstrate evidence of teacher and student learning, and
- use this evidence to guide next steps.